Skip to main content

S8: E159 Working Out: With or Without the Peloton App

Afternoon Ti Podcast

Season 8

Episode 159

Working Out: With or Without the Peloton App




You’ve likely seen the hype and wondered why so many people are raving about Peloton.  During the pandemic last year when we were all home teaching, my friend Becky shared about a 90 day trial for the Peloton app.  I’m totally inspired by her so I decided to try out the app for my outdoor runs in particular and was hooked.  It’s now over a year later and I’m still loving the workouts!  New content comes out consistently.  I am finding new ways to make workouts challenging and fun.  I truly love it so much.


If you’re interested in trying Peloton out there are many ways to do this.  

1 - Get the app.  There’s a teacher discount if you use the app so it’s $9.99 a month.  This price applies to First Responders, Military, and Medical professions as well.  College and University students pay $6.99 for the app.  What you get:  Access to all of the class content online.

2 - Buy a stationary bike or Peloton bike and use the app.

3 - Buy a Peloton tread or any treadmill and use the app.

You do not need the bike or tread for most of the content.  There is plenty that you can do without the equipment!  You get to take part in ‘live’ classes and specific programs targeting training in strength, 5K and marathon training, core workouts, and meditation.  There are cool collections that center around specific musical artists, family series, holiday collections, gratitude, and your favorite instructors.  I love that I can use the filter options to decide how long of a class I want to take (anywhere from 5 minutes to 60 minutes), they type of class I want to take (this varies depending on the workout), the difficulty of the class (beginner through advanced), style of music (if you’re a country music fan, then it’ll give you a list of the workouts that have that music style in them), and instructor (you’ll find a favorite or two or three and find yourself looking for content specifically for that instructor).

Peloton is one way to workout.  There are many apps, programs, and in-person opportunities available that are great. It all depends on what you need and what you’ll use and finding the one that works for you  If you thrive in community and want to meet up with friends - working out at Orange Theory, Pure Barre, or a local gym might work best for you.  If you are limited on time and prefer solo workouts, finding things you enjoy doing at home works great.  I’ve done gyms several times, worked with trainers, gone to fitness classes, and tried to make in-person workouts work for me.  I love them so much and they were great at the right times.  But in the stage of life I’m in I’m restricted by time, driving to/from sports practices and events for my girls, and paying the financial commitment it takes per month to have a membership.  Here’s what I need:

  • Something flexible that I can do on my own time

  • Community that lets me meet up with others if I want to or do things on my own

  • Variety of workouts

  • Affordable

The Peloton app hit all of those things for me and because of this I feel a part of something while also being able to workout on my own terms whenever and wherever I am.  I can’t speak to the bike workouts because I’ve never taken a Peloton biking class, but I’ve done classes in almost all of the other available content.  I’m going to share my favorite classes and instructors in each area.  And share workout tips along the way that will encourage you to get out there and move - whether you use the Peloton app, workout on your own, go to classes at your gym, or just need encouragement to move.

STRENGTH

Favorite classes - Arms and Light weights

Light Weights - February 25, 2021 and March 5, 2020- 10 minutes Arms Toning with Hannah Frankson

Strength for Runners - January 13, 2020 - 20 minute Intermediate with Becs Gentry

Pilates - December 16, 2020 20 minute Intermediate with Hannah Corbin

Tip:  Adding strength training into your workouts can make you stronger during other workouts.  This is an area I have to purposefully focus on doing or I won’t do it.  I prefer that feeling of going going going during cardio or runs and struggle to lift weights for a set over a shorter period and then rest before the next set.  I get bored - even if that rest is good for me and I know I’m getting stronger.  It’s good for us.

STRETCHING

Favorite classes - 

  1. May 6, 2021 5 minute Pre-Run Warm Up with Jess Sims (works hamstrings and glutes)

  2. December 13, 2019 10 minute Hips Stretch with Becs Gentry

  3. March 9, 2020 5 minute Post-Run Stretch with Rebecca Kennedy (I’ve done this one SO many times and love how it works out my quads and hamstrings)


Tip:  Stretching by itself is a workout.  You don’t have to workout to make time to stretch.  Meaning that stretching workouts can stand on their own and aren’t only used as preparation or wind down from other workouts.  Stretching can be THE workout.  

If there’s a specific part that gets tight, focus on doing exercises for that area.  For me - it’s my hips.  For my husband it’s his calf muscles.  You’ll know what area is tighter or needs more love as you begin to move through stretching exercises.  Your body will talk to you and let you know.


YOGA

Favorite classes:

Three classes taught by Kristin McGee

  1. March 7, 2021 30 minute Women’s History Month: Broadway Yoga Flow 

  2. December 13, 2020 30 minute Holiday Pop Yoga Flow

  3. April 20, 2021 10 minute Focus Flow:  Hips


October 16, 2020 45 minute Hamilton Yoga Flow with Ross Rayburn

Tip:  Try yoga classes that are shorter and focus on specific areas.  Try yoga workouts that use upbeat music or music styles you like rather than just ethereal calm music.

Side note:  If you’re looking for great yoga classes that are free, check out Yoga with Adriene.  Love her workouts.  https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene 


CARDIO

Favorite class:

December 14, 2020 5 minute Fit Family Brain Break with Jess Sims


Tip:  Make it fun.  Just because it’s made for the whole family doesn’t mean it won’t challenge you!  


OUTDOOR RUN

This is the area I spend most of my time on the app.  I have tons of favorites here because I have figured out which runs work for easy days, HIIT advanced days, distance, or fun running days.

  1. FUN RUN DAY:  June 26, 2021 30 minute British Pop Run with Becs Gentry - music is so fun

  2. EASY RUN DAY:  August 1, 2019 20 minute walk plus run wiith Robin Arzon

  3. HIIT RUN: June 3, 2020 30 minute HIIT Run with Andy Speer

  4. INTERVALS RUN: December 19, 2019 45 minute intervals run with Andy Speer

Tip:  Beginner Runners - start with the walk/runs. Consistency and shorter workouts add up.  As you grow in endurance and confidence, mix it up.  I would tend to run the same speed every workout prior to using the app.  I love that I can listen to fun music while being given a more specific workout along the way by the instructors.  I’ve grown in my abilities

Tip:  Set a daily goal.  For the month of June my running goal was to do one mile a day.  I could do more if I wanted to, but the idea was the consistency and small goal of getting out to run for a short period.


MEDITATION

I’ve spent quite a bit of time listening to the Sleep/Relax Meditations.  Rarely do I stay awake through the entirety of them.


Favorites:

  1. November 11, 2019 15 minute sleep meditation with Anna Greenberg

  2. May 21, 2021 10 minute sleep meditation with Aditi Shah


Tip:  Meditation is like a mental workout.  A relaxing mental massage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S