Skip to main content

S8: E158 Summer Health Series - The Four R's of Summer: Rejuvenate, Renew, Reflect, Redirect

 Afternoon Ti Podcast

Season 8

Episode 158

Summer Health Series - The Four R's of Summer: Rejuvenate, Renew, Reflect, Redirect



For our summer health series so far I’ve focused on sharing some of my summer favorites and parenting ideas for time with your kids ages 0 through middle school.  Today’s episode is all about you.  You just finished what might arguably be the hardest year of teaching you’ve ever had. You were creative, innovative, exhausted, determined, uncertain, experimental, challenged, discouraged, beat down, encouraged, and then it came to an end.  Summer has arrived.


My immediate response to the start of summer was the need for rejuvenating and renewing myself.  I wasn’t ready to reflect on the year and am still not at that place yet completely.  Not like I’ve done in the past.  I’ve looked through photos of myself from the year and see the bags under my eyes, the tiredness in my face, and a clear view of myself as someone who wore themselves out trying to keep everything going.  And it was apparent that rest needed to happen as soon as school ended.  And rest I did and two weeks out am still doing.  A few of you are just ending your school year and what you need is rest.  Take it.  Do it.  When you’re ready to face school work, new ideas, and reflect on the year then go for it.  But give yourself permission to check school emails infrequently, go up to school for specific times and only if necessary, and to be a person again before your role of a teacher.  


It can be hard to shut off teacher mode.  It often takes some time for me to unwind and actually relax and do things that are unrelated to work.  Part of it is having ideas pop up and fleshing those out.  Part of it is that there are things I want to work on in my classroom that are easier to do in the summer or meetings I’m still going to in the summer every now and again.  Or just that I simply don’t know what else to do with my time and need to remember that it’s okay if I sit on the couch and watch another episode with my girls.  


You might be in the same place as me - needing time to rejuvenate and renew yourself.  You need a little time before you jump back into thinking about school, writing down new ideas, or doing anything related to teaching.


You might feel like you want to put things into action.  You’re ready to get your thoughts down through reflecting and redirecting.  You don’t want to forget things that worked or didn’t work this year and you want to redirect your thinking towards how you can use what you did this year again.  


There is no right reaction to summer starting.  Take what you need.

Rejuvenate and renew - go do it.

Reflect and redirect - go do it.


I’d encourage you to make time for both this summer.  In any order or combination that works for you.  But you need both.


Here are a few ideas for how to do both this summer:


Rejuvenate and Renew-

  1. Step away from school work.

  2. Choose specific days and times for doing school related things (and then only do them during that time)

  3. Be bored. Allow yourself to get used to a slower pace.


Reflect and Redirect-

  1. Make a list by grade level of what you want to keep for next year

  2. If you’re ready, look at what you want to focus on next year (either wasn’t able to be done this year or is an area you know that your students need more time with - specific concepts)

  3. Begin writing down ideas for next year - maybe even go up to school to decorate your room or clean out things


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S