Skip to main content

S8: E154 Summer Health Series #1: 3 Topics, 3 Thoughts, 3 Prompts

Afternoon Ti

Season 8

Episode 154




I’m so happy to be back with you after a month off.  As April was ending I was burning out fast.  There were a lot of things that hit all at once and I knew that in order to finish the school year I needed to step back from all the extras.  Around mid-April I broke my left radius on a hiking trip and was in a cast.  This added a whole new element to teaching on a cart.  My wedding rings were lost on the same trip and never found.  My coworker passed away from brain cancer at the age of 33 towards the end of April and then Julia’s soccer coach passed away in a golf cart accident ten days later.  Walking alongside our youngest daughter as she mourned her amazing coach was hard.  Grief always is.  All of this led up to needing time spent focused on my family, my students, and the bare essentials.


This episode is broken down into three topics with three answers for each one:  What I learned on my month ‘off,’ what I’m doing this summer to continue the work to prevent burnout, and how I’m taking what I experienced into the next year.


What I learned on my month off:

1 - It’s okay to mourn what wasn’t

I had pushed myself to a place that wasn’t sustainable because I felt like I was failing in many areas.  “I’ve never worked so hard to get mediocre results” - not seeing the ‘results’ I was used to seeing.  Comparison was killing me.  Feeling inadequate.  No closure for the year.  It just ended.  


2 - Success looks differently in different times

I’m used to my idea of success showing up in a certain way.  And this year it never came. Most years May is a time of wrapping up the year and reflecting on all the things that had been accomplished or that students had demonstrated and the excitement of a year well done.  After a year of no singing inside, no music sharings (performances), no select ensembles or traveling to share with other schools, teaching on a cart while going from room to room and upstairs/downstairs numerous times a day, teaching students online and in person at the same time, and doing what I could to allow students to make music through drumming and barred instruments, May became a month of daily making the choice to show up to give my best despite not seeing ‘results.’  Not seeing or hearing what told me that I was doing a good job.  That I was making a difference.  Not having tangible results that labeled me a ‘good teacher.’  This past month I found that getting up each morning, focusing on the students in front of me with a positive outlook and an excitement about the day, and giving all I had (to whatever capacity that was) was my success.  Most times it had nothing to do with what I was teaching musically.  In fact the relation aspects became the biggest success of my year.  


3 - Relationships make the difference

My biggest takeaway this year was that while curriculum content was a struggle, the relationships I built with colleagues, friends and students were the biggest success of my year.  How important it is to be present with those we love and equally important to turn off work to be able to focus on the ones we live with.


What I’m doing this summer to continue the work of preventing burnout:

1 - Choosing one day a week to check work emails 

2 - Spending time with my people - my family and friends and coworkers 

3 - Spending time doing simple things mostly unrelated to work - reading, writing, running, games with our family, being a mom and a wife


How I’m taking what I’ve experienced this year into next year:

1 - Rebuilding year: starting with a lot of basics (particularly melodic elements), reviewing familiar, 

2 - Surrounding myself with a community of people - mutually encouraging each other, lifting each other up, fighting for each other

3 - Find the good and be the good - keep my focus on what is working, what is going well, and less on looking at other’s lanes and comparing what they were able to do.  Your restrictions are different than theirs.  Your results will be different than theirs.


A few questions for you to think on as your year draws to a close:


1 - How would you define success this year?

 

2 - Who are your people?


3 - What do you want to keep from this past year?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S