Skip to main content

S2: E62 What Should I Pack? Essentials to Bring to Conferences

Season Two
Episode 62
What Should I Pack?  Essentials to Bring to Conferences


I just arrived home yesterday afternoon from the AOSA National Conference.  This is the annual Orff Approach conference that is held in a different location in the United States each November.  I spent time at the Salt Lake City Convention Center the past three days singing, dancing, playing, creating, and taking in the teaching of some of the best educators (my opinion) in the nation.  Each session had at least one take-away, if not more, for ideas that I could use in my classroom with students. If you just returned from the conference, I’d love to hear what you learned, loved, and how you made the most of your time in Utah.  Share on Instagram and tag me @highafternooti - I’d love to hear from you!


Since it’s all fresh in my mind, I thought I’d share several ideas about attending conferences, but as I started getting ideas together I realized that the topic of packing alone would take up quite a bit of time.  So I’m focusing on that in this episode: All things packing.


Figuring out what to wear, what you’ll need, technology needs, and other items that could come in handy.  I tend to be a light packer and because the only suitcases we own are carry-ons, that’s what I pack in, but I have many friends who love to bring the big oversized suitcases with extra room for purchasing new items from vendors or around the city where the conference is held.  


Either way you choose to go, I hope you gain an idea or two to try as you get ready to attend your next conference.  Let’s start with clothing.


CLOTHING
1- Whatever outfit you wear on the plane ride there, wear that outfit on your return plane flight.  Saves an outfit that you don’t have to pack for one of the days that you’re at conference. Oftentimes I am leaving conferences the morning after a late night of attending a final session or banquet.  Instead of packing an outfit just for that day of traveling I wear the same one that I wore on the way.


2- Marie Kondo it
I’m a huge Marie Kondo fan and I fold all my clothing items in my drawers her recommended way.  It keeps things simple and small. How you fold your clothes can seemingly give you more room in your suitcase.  I haven’t tested this theory, but Melanie Pinola did. In an article on lifehackers.com, Melanie tested out five packing ideas that compare how much clothing you can fit in a suitcase as well as how wrinkled the clothing becomes.  Each method has its pros and cons - do you want more clothes or more wrinkles? How much clothing do you really need? If you want an indepth look at packing ideas, check out the article in the show notes from realsimple.com by Theresa O’Rourke.  She shares ideas about packing everything from shoes, clothes, toiletries. I love the idea she shares about taking out everything you think you need and then putting half of it back. This is especially great advice if you tend to overpack.


3- Mix and match
I try to keep to a color scheme - typically black, white, and grey.  I try to pack layers of these colors that can match with other things along with a color that I love (this was maroon for the AOSA conference).  Within my layers I have a thick cardigan, thin cardigan, thin warm sweater, button up shirt, and one tshirt. For pants I bring one pair of leggings, one pair of jeans, and one pair of corduroys.  I actually fit five pairs of shoes in my luggage so that I could wear a different pair for each day and the black heels at the final banquet. Look at the weather before you go to determine what layers you’ll need and bring at least one cardigan or sweatshirt because convention centers are known for being cold - even in summers - so it’s always nice to have that extra layer even if you’re wearing a t-shirt and shorts.




TECHNOLOGY
1 - Device of your choice
This varies for me.  For this conference I only brought my phone and iPad.  At other conferences I’ve brought my laptop. You know how you like to take notes and what works for you.  If you aren’t sure, bring a notebook of some kind or printed notes for sessions from online (I usually put them organized by session in a binder and bring it to the conference, purchase notes at the conference.  And bring one device. Test out how you like to take notes and interact. You may find you prefer it on a device or that you like to write it by hand.


As you’re thinking about technology items, take time to look at what your hotel offers in terms of internet access.  This varies by hotel so it’s helpful to know ahead of time whether you’ll need to pay extra or if there’s complimentary internet.


We’re all particular about what devices we prefer so the technology list could go on and on.  Instead I’ll refer you to an article by Diana Rendina from renovated learning.com. She shares links and ideas for usb cords, a power brick, surge protector, and other items for if you’re not only an attendee, but a presenter as well.  I’ll link the article in the show notes so you can check it out.  


EXTRAS
I posted the question “What is the one thing you always pack for conferences” in the American Orff-Schulwerk Association Discussion Group on Facebook because I’m always interested in finding out what other people’s essentials for conferences are.  Here are the most recommended items:
  1. Portable chargers or an external battery were high on the list
  2. Backpack - something comfortable to carry things around in during the day
  3. Pens or Flair pens and some type of notebook to take notes - I talked about this a bit ago, but you might do this digitally on a device or enjoy writing on printed notes or writing notes on paper.  I’ve done it each way and tend to go back and forth on it depending on how much time I spent in preparation before the conference. There’s no right way - do what works for you.
  4. For music conferences, a recorder and maybe a ukulele
  5. Chapstick
  6. Sleeping aids like ear plugs
  7. Snacks like protein bars or shakes 
  8. Water bottle
  9. Meds like ibuprofen, tylenol, tums, tea-tree oil for stuffy nose, bandaids
  10. Hat/mittens/scarf - even if it’s hot outside, a scarf for inside the convention center could be helpful
  11. Comfy shoes
  12. And the number one ‘liked’ item was bourbon.  Many other beverages of choice were mentioned as well.  Can’t say I’ve ever done this one, but apparently it’s a big hit with many.


I also found a great article for overall packing on weareteachers.com written by Jessica McFadden.  Again, it will be in the show notes. Great ideas with links to all the items.


The next time you’re heading to a conference I hope your packing goes smoothly and with little stress.  In the next episode, I’m going to share how I design each of my conference experiences by choosing sessions that work for my teaching situation while also finding time to break out of the convention center and see some of the sights in the city where the conference is held.  Until then, have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S