Skip to main content

S2: E59 Sunday Sip: Three Words

Season Two
Episode 59
Sunday Sip: Three Words



Hello friends and welcome to Sunday Sip on Afternoon Ti.  Each Sunday for the remainder of the year I plan to share a single idea, thought, or meaningful take-away in hopes that you’ll be encouraged and inspired as you prepare to enter the next new week of teaching. 


I recently read the book ‘The Originals: How Non-conformists move the World’ by Adam Grant.  Highly recommend this book if you haven’t read it yet. I love how Adam weaves stories into lessons and insights into human behavior and ideas.  It’s creative and a fast-paced read. The last chapter of the book is called “Rocking the Boat and Keeping it Steady: Managing anxiety, apathy, ambivalence, and anger.”  

The section of this chapter that has stuck with me over the past few weeks after reading it was a story about a college professor who asked students to give a persuasive speech.  Before they gave the speech they were asked to speak one of these phrases out loud to themselves: 

Either “I am calm” or “I am excited.”  On page 215, Adam shares that the students who said “I am excited” not only came across as more persuasive, but also spent more time on stage.  Another scenario was when the same teacher asked students to sing 80s rock music in public. Again, they were assigned a phrase to say out loud to themselves:  either nothing or “I am anxious” or “I am excited.” And again, just by saying “I am excited” was enough to make a difference in the accuracy of what was performed.  More details are in the chapter about the ins and outs of this, but this is a broad overview that gives us some insight into how what we speak to ourselves when we are anxious can change how we react.

At the end of the book, Adam shares actions for impact - insights from each chapter about simple steps we can take to change our focus or our mindset.  Number 12 is “Don’t try to calm down.” I tried this with a class this past Tuesday. We are in a new trimester. I have all new classes and students - many of whom I have taught before, but hadn’t taught since last year.  And each class make-up is different even if you’ve taught students before. I always get anxious before the first class. It’s the unexpected or the wondering of how it will go. I decided that instead of telling myself to stay calm, to not worry, to take deep breaths, I was going to be excited.  There was so much I truly was excited to share with students - I just needed to reframe it in my mind and out loud to myself. I love my students and I am truly excited to be with them. Instead of telling my nervous self to take deep breaths and calm down, I said out loud “I am excited.” I found I smiled more - and I tend to smile a lot anyway.  I found that I had more energy with the class. I found that the students were smiling back. I found that the class flew by. And that I was more engaging with students. Those three words “I am excited” impacted how I believed and interacted with my class.

If there’s a performance you’re having with students this week, tell yourself “I’m excited” because you’ve prepared them and it’s going to go well.  If you have a meeting with a parent that you’re nervous about, say “I’m excited” because you get to be the one to help impact that family and that child personally.  If you are feeling anxious about a situation, about teaching a specific class, about working with a specific student, with a colleague, administrator, or whatever may be causing anxiety for you, try saying “I’m excited” and see if you find more energy and a shift in the outcome because of reframing your anxiousness into excitement.  

Thanks for joining me for your Sunday Sip today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S