Skip to main content

S2: E57 Sunday Sip: Consider Yourself Hugged

Season Two
Episode 57
Consider Yourself Hugged

Hello friends and welcome to Sunday Sip on Afternoon Ti.  Each Sunday for the remainder of the year I plan to share a single idea, thought, or meaningful take-away in hopes that you’ll be encouraged and inspired as you prepare to enter the next new week of teaching. 


Consider this episode a virtual hug from me to you.  We’ve made it through a few months of school already and you might be feeling like you need a hug.  Someone to tell you that it’s going to be okay. That what you’re giving day in and day out matters.  That you matter. One of my all-time favorite administrators that I ever worked under was Linda Humphrey.  She was warm, compassionate, and a wonderful leader. I began working with her after a really hard year of teaching and transition. She brought joy back to teaching for me.  And she always ended her emails with CYH - consider yourself hugged. I knew she meant it too. She was a hugger. She hugged students as they entered the school and hugged teachers who were giving their best.  One of her many strengths was how she set the tone for the school and brought so much care to each day.


There are benefits to hugs including feeling closer to the person you’re embracing.  According to studies shared in an article on hugging in Psychology Today, hugs can lower your risk of catching a cold, reduce your blood pressure, and lighten your mood even on bad days.  Giving and receiving a hug can show support for someone else. If you know that a person is open to hugging or you have a close friendship/relationship with someone and words are lacking, sometimes giving a hug can say what needs to be said.  It’s a way to say ‘You’re amazing,’ I’m proud of you, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through, I’m here, or other emotions to someone else to show that your care.


At the end of the day yesterday, I had my last fifth grade class with students who were switching fine arts classes beginning on Monday for the new trimester.  At the end of class a student came over and immediately gave me a side hug and said Thanks Mrs. Grant. This was so unexpected and I loved watching them catch up to their friends and walk with them.  It was a simple gesture and completely appropriate way for them to say thank you - simple and kind. It made me realize that I had made a difference with this student when honestly I wasn’t sure how they were doing.  They were so quiet and sometimes seeming unengaged during lessons. But this simple gesture made my day and they walked away smiling too.


So friends - consider yourself hugged today.  You matter more than you’ll ever know. We’ve got a few weeks until Thanksgiving.  Many of us are exhausted - I slept almost 13 hours last night and plan to still take a nap to recoup later today.  Make time to refill yourself and give what you have to your students. You’re amazing and you matter. Consider yourself hugged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S