Skip to main content

S5: E109 Summer Health Series: 2020 Goal Review

Season Five: Episode 109
Summer Health Series
2020 Goal Review

As a huge goal setter, this year has thrown me.  A lot.  In some ways things are looking great and I’m actually ahead of where I’d ever thought I’d be and in other areas I’m scrapping what I was dreaming and working towards.  We are about halfway through 2020 and now is a great time to look at goals you’ve set and do three things with them:  Reevaluate, Refocus, and Reach.  




Last year I talked about these three words in my 2019 Goal Review on Season One: Episode 36.  They were something I heard talked about in a podcast by Rachel Hollis and I loved the positivity around this process.  No shame if you haven’t done what you’d hoped.  And only joy for what can happen in the future.  Here’s a short run down of what this looks like when you apply these three terms to your goals:


We’ll start with Reevaluate:  If there’s a goal that you don’t feel that’s worth working towards this year, let it go. 


My biggest goal this year was to write a book for music educators.  In fact I was well on my way towards putting it all together - spending time consistently writing a little at a time, 100 pages into it (unedited so I know it would be picked apart and red-lined, but at least there were words and thoughts and organized chapters) -  and COVID hit.  I stopped writing a few weeks into our virtual teaching because - hello, it was non-stop and other things took precedence.  And now that we’re in this world of virtual teaching and education isn’t looking like it has, I feel that the book might not be what is needed in this time.  Or that it is irrelevant for this period.  So I have set it aside and I’m needing to refocus on if this is the right time for me to write a book or if I need to wait on this dream.  I’m okay with either.  Just evaluating still.


The second idea is to Refocus.  If there’s a change that occurred in your life in the first half of the year, you may find that the goals you had been working towards no longer are relevant or need to be tweaked.  Refocus your goals to align with where you are.  Or you may find that you set a goal that’s worth continuing to work toward, but needs honing or redefining.  


There are two goals I plan to do this with:


The first is that I was planning to go ‘live’ on Instagram every Monday.  This goal was set because I wanted to get more comfortable talking about what I’m doing with students, sharing ideas, and being more bold about doing simple videos.  The goal is lacking a purpose and because of this, I think I did it twice.  I want to tweak this goal and figure out the reason behind it and what it is I want to share/say.  I still think it’s a goal worth doing, but it needs more direction and purpose.


The second goal I want to refocus is the goal of setting up a website.  My blog is very, very basic.  You can find full transcripts of each show with links, but I want it to function better with more material and ways to interact built in as well as allowing me to put in downloads and other content.  I thought I knew what platform I wanted to use and was ready in February to start using it, but through more research I found it wasn’t the right one and now have two that I’m between.  Again, I need to look at the purpose behind what the website would allow me to do and then go for it and refocus it.


The third idea is to Reach:  for goals you’ve met, see if there’s something you want to work more towards in that area and extend your goal.  Rachel Hollis talks about this in terms of setting a goal for something and then setting a reach goal towards that same thing.  So if your goal is to save $1000 by the end of the year, your reach goal might be saving $1500 at the end of the year.  If you find you’re already nearing or have already surpassed what you had anticipated working towards, consider extending that goal and reaching beyond what has already been achieved.


My healthiest and most favorite thing to do to de-stress is to get outside and go for a run.  One of the biggest benefits of having all of this time at home has been the ability to get outside every single day.  Rain or shine, I’ve done this since we’ve been quarantined at home.  There were only a few days in the last three months that I didn’t get outside and I felt it.  I have two physical fitness goals this year:  to work out 4 days a week and to run 400 miles this year.  I enjoy working out and I know the difference it makes for me so it’s not a chore because I know how I feel when I do it so it’s easy for me to choose to get out.  As of the day that I’m recording this, I’m definitely getting in 4 days a week - most weeks are 7 days - and I’ve run 290 miles so far this year.  My reach goal is to run 500 miles this year and I think I can do it.


My other reach goal is to continue reading more books.  There are so many great books on my want-to-read list and summer is my favorite time to read more.  This goal is one of the most relaxing and wonderful ways for me to de-stress.  It’s interesting that both of the reach goals for me involve the two things that I need for myself and that benefit my relaxation and my health - mentally, physical, and emotional.  So important and so necessary.  And why not reach for more of what makes you better and feeds your soul?


Wherever you are on your goals this year, I encourage you to look at the things you’ve hoped to do, hoped to achieve, or just wanted to spend time doing and find ways to reevaluate, refocus, and reach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S