Skip to main content

S4: E94 Here I Am, There You Are

Season Four
Episode 94
AT COVID  Here I Am, There You Are

 



Hello friends!  A week ago I was anticipating so many things.  My select ensembles had their final rehearsal in the morning before the day began - they sounded amazing!  We were set to travel to three schools to perform the next day and have our final sharing at school on Friday morning.  The time and energy these students give is incredible. I couldn’t wait.


Spring break was almost here.  Julia, my youngest daughter, and I were going to Rhode Island for a week to visit my brother Jon and his family.  Her tenth birthday was at the end of the visit and we were planning to go to NYC to see a Broadway show, eat some good food, and be tourists in the city.  Jeremy had scheduled a special night out for the two of them when we got home to go to the Mavs Basketball Game on his birthday three nights later. Julia loves basketball and this was a special treat for them.  Riley was planning to spend Spring break in Tennessee with my parents. We couldn’t wait.


We were all affected by it this week.  Our lives look different this week. We are aware of every square of toilet paper that we’re using - too much?  Too little? Will it last? We are aware of our neighbors and their needs. Many of us are working or teaching from home - or about to.  Many of us feel peace, anxiety, and a mix of it all at different times during the day.


We’d all heard about the coronavirus - COVID-19.  But honestly it felt so far away. China. Italy. It seemed so far.  And then it wasn’t. We’ve got neighbors who are quarantined to their home.  Friends who have been in contact with people who either were exposed or have been diagnosed with the virus.  We are one week into our time at home. There have been things I’ve absolutely loved about this time at home.  And things that have been a challenge. I wasn’t sure what I had to contribute or say during this time and have held back from sharing anything because I was soaking up the break with the girls and making the best of all of our cancelled plans and unexpected changes.  Now that we’re a week in, I have more clarity about it. So every now and again during this time I’m planning to shrae some online lesson planning ideas for the classroom, share encouragement, and ideas for what you can do at home - by yourself and with your family. I have several pre-recorded episodes about music education topics that I’m still going to put out on the regular Tuesday launch days.  But I do want to talk about what is happening now with a focus on what you can do to make the best of it all.


Here are a few things that have been saving my life this week.  


  1. Working out
Every day.  Getting outside - between all the rain we’ve been having - and moving my body physically.  I can listen to my favorite music or listen to a podcast. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is hear more about the virus.  Not because I don’t care, but because it can be all consuming. It’s all that all of us are talking about. Of course! But when I am working out, I am choosing uplifting music and something completely not about the news right now.  Favorite episodes right now are The Office Ladies - there’s even an Office March Madness Chart that I’ll share in the blog if you’re interested in watching reruns of episodes over time to decide your families all-time favorite episode.  I love their podcast. Whether you work out in your home, with your kids, or go outside, make yourself do this as part of your day. We need endorphins and you’ll feel great. It doesn’t have to be an hour - even 5-10 minutes of movement is great!  If you love yoga, highly recommend Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. So many options there. Megan Lyons @thelyonsshare on Instagram always shares Wednesday workouts - some are only 5 minutes and others are longer. Or walk your dog outside. We’ve done some family bike rides on the trails near our house.  You’ll be glad to get up and moving. It’s so good for us and especially when most of us are cooped up in our homes.  


  1. Reading
Tomorrow’s episode will be with my friend Angie.  She’s going to share a ton of great books to read to your kids, for yourself, read-alouds for family time.  All of it. Setting aside time for all of us to read at the same time has been a life saver. Julia and I are reading a book together at night and since it’s a longer book we’ve begun to read it together during the day too.  Riley is working on a new book that she loves. And I’ve been able to take time to read two books already and start another one. It’s a great way to get your mind into a different world and escape into the stories. Listen in tomorrow for lots of new ideas! 


  1. Puzzles and Games
We borrowed a really fun puzzle from our next door neighbor and then because it was so great, we bought two more puzzles afterwards.  We’ve already done two of the puzzles and have the biggest 2000 piece one remaining. The two puzzles we’ve finished together are by Aimee Stewart - one is called Banana Split and the other is called Brown’s General Store.  They are so colorful and can easily be sectioned off if you want to find pieces for a specific section for a younger child to work on. We spent time doing the outer edge together and then chose specific things we wanted to work on (for example, I worked on the word “Ice Cream” while Julia worked on the words “Banana Split” and helped each other find pieces for that part.  It made it easier to do it together.


We’ve also spent time playing games.  Our current favorites are Parcheesi and Phase 10.  My mom sent the girls a few fun activities to do during this week of spring break and sent the game Pandemic.  We’re planning to play it this afternoon which will be fun.  


The other thing that my mom sent us were some mad libs about the pandemic that she created.  We did them last night with the girls and we were all laughing so hard. I asked her if I could share them so I’ll put a link in the show notes as well as in the blog.  They are completely kid-friendly and brought us some much-needed joy and laughter as a family.

MAD LIB #1: Social Distancing

MAD LIB: #2: Pandemic


  1. Reading the Bible and Trusting God
I’d been extremely positive about all of this and focused on simply being with the girls - trying to keep any to-do lists out of the way and really trying to just enjoy being with them without distractions.  Then yesterday hit us all hard. Julia was angry, frustrated, and disappointed as she talked about her upcoming birthday. Riley was angry, frustrated, and disappointed that we wouldn’t allow her to spend time with friends and she was feeling left out.  I was feeling all of those things because I’d been trying to be positive for everyone for six days and it just hit me that I was feeling unsettled and uncertain more than I thought I had been. Jeremy hit his wall of being mentally exhausted from dealing with the market and trading and work.  We were all on edge. And what I kept coming back to that helped myself and my family was that God is in control. That no matter what happens, I can trust that He is in control.  


The devotional that our small group has been working through is by Kay Arthur and focuses on the Beatitudes.  This week’s topic has been meekness. Meekness believes that God is in control and trusts that He is. Meekness means resting and waiting on God.  Being confident of His promises and having an acceptance that God’s dealings with us are good. Matthew 11:28-30 says “Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you. And learn from Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble in heart and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My load is light.” Yokes are wooden frames put on the backs of animals and around their necks that allow two or more animals to work together towards something like plowing fields and pulling heavy loads.  God invites us to come to him and be with Him because He wants to work alongside us to carry the heavy loads we are carrying - and not only that, but He lifts that weight off of us to make our loads light. By coming alongside Him, He eases our burdens. Our frustrations. And our worries. I encourage you to spend time with God - talking to Him, trusting Him.  A scripture I’ve been reading daily is Psalm 91. Each night Julia and I are reading it together before bed. I’m encouraged by verse 1: Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Let that encourage you today! And listen in tomorrow to hear some great book ideas for your family!  Take a deep breath. One day at a time. One hour at a time if needed. Have a great day friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S