Skip to main content

S2: E37 Back in the Groove

Season Two
Episode 27
Back in the Groove:  Back To School


I'm beyond excited about starting season two of the podcast.  I hope you enjoyed the summer health series and will consider listening to episodes again that inspired you.  With fall arriving, I'll be diving into music education topics with some incredible guests who have been so gracious to share their experiences and insights.  With each interview I find myself inspired by the work of others in our field and grateful to be able to share their talks with you.  Many of us return to work in the next few weeks and are taking time to set up our classrooms, prepare lesson plans, and slowly reentering teacher mode again.  I'm never quite ready for how tired I feel the first two weeks of school after returning - no matter how many times I try to go to bed earlier and reset my clock internally.

Every year I still have the first day jitters and excitement of the beginning of the new year.

Everything in today's episode will be in 3's -
1) Three ideas for what you can do in the first few classes to help set up your year
2) Three ideas for lesson planners that I've either used or have friends who swear by them
3) Three ways we can reset our minds to get back into school mode.

So let's get started!

FIRST FEW CLASS IDEAS
A.  Go slow to go fast
Take more time on going through important transitions, how-to's, and expectations than you think you need.

B. Show them what you want the first time and then hold them to that standard
Be consistent.

C. Make it joyful while going through the mundane
I try to weave musical learning in those first few classes while going through procedures.  I always start with singing and recorders before rules and talking.  I want them making music.  As we go through the music, I will make short comments about 'what we do.'  I know they're going to tune me out if I talk for long periods at a time right from the start, but I also know that they need to know what I want.  So mix it up - talking through expectations/procedures - making music - procedures - music...

LESSON PLANNING
A. Paper Lesson Plan Books
Here are few lesson plan books I've used or had friends that swear by:

1) Elan
It's been my go-to for pretty much every year that I've taught.  I did use a different one last year and it worked, but I went right back to Elan for this year.  It is no frills.  It is not flashy at all.  What it is is what I need:  practical, full of space to write, and so affordable!  I purchased it for about $12 on Amazon.  So awesome!  And once it's open, I tend to not see the cover again until the year is over because I leave it open to make notes, write plans, and all the good stuff.

To see how I outline my paper planner, I'll be posting pics and info on my Instagram account to show I spruce it up to keep it organized and color coded.  It's simple, but effective.

Check out @highafternoonti on Instagram!

2) Simplified Teacher Planner
I use the daily Simplified Planner, but there is a teacher edition as well.  Haven't used the teacher planner, but it's one of the ones on my 'want to try.'  Plus they are currently 50% off on the website!

3)  Erin Condren Planner
Loads of my friends swear by this planner.  I haven't personally tried it, but all of my friends who have purchased one continue to purchase them again.  They are what I'll call 'an investment' as the price point is on the more expensive end, but they are high quality and beautiful!

4)  Elizabeth Caldwell Planners
Another paper option is to purchase templates created by other teachers.  The best one I've ever seen online is by Elizabeth Caldwell from caldwellorganizedchaos.  She also has a Teachers pay Teachers stored called Organized Chaos where you can find her #Planmywholelife music teacher planner bundle (as well as TONS of other planners).  You guys - it's unbelievable!  She's thought of everything and gives you detailed information about the set-up, how to use it, and videos demonstrating options.  PLUS the planners are only $20!

This is also on my 'must-get' list!  Friends who have used her materials rave about them.  One of the most amazing parts of purchasing the planner is that you get free updates automatically every year.  So once you've purchased the planner, you don't have to repurchase another one the next year.  Just simply download it and print!  The materials are in Powerpoint so you can change them to fit your needs.  There are so many options for the printables and it can be done so simply.

To give you an idea of what is in the teacher planner, here's a more concise list (more is included and detailed on her website:
40 cover designs
Matching spine labels
Options for how many classes you have rotationally
Year-At-a-Glance Calendars
Long range planning
Monthly Calendars
Lesson Plan Pages
Gradebook
Parent Contact Log
Substitute Lesson Log
Substitute Contacts
Professional Development Log
Budget Wishlist

B. Online Lesson Plans
While I do use a paper planner so I can see long term plans easier, my more detailed lessons are online in my Google Drive. Here is the template I use in my classroom for my schedule, as well as one for an elementary weekly schedule. Feel free to 'make a copy' and use if it fits your needs!

My Lesson Plan

Elementary Weekly Schedule Lesson Plans

While these are based on grade level, I'm hoping to expand them so that they take the data from the cells and put information together so that a daily view is seen of the classes that you teach each day... it's a work in progress!  

C. Personal Planners
1) Simplified Planner
I use the Weekly Simplified Planner from Emily Ley. Love it. Super simple (thus, the name). Plus it fits in my purse and I have cute pens that don't smear and use with it.

2) Pepper Planner
Megan Lyons, from The Lyons' Share Wellness, was on the podcast in Season One: Episode 27. She shared about movement, sleep, and nutrition. She's created the Pepper Planner which is available on her website. It's a resource to help you focus on:
Planning
Exercise/Nutrition
Positivity
Productivity
Energy
Reflection

While not a lesson planner, I want to mention it because it's a great resource if you're wanting to track things related to your health (planning school lunches, keeping track of water consumption, goal setting, positivity). It's a great supplemental life planner!



MINDSET

A. You're going to be tired!
Make sleep a priority and try to schedule really light weekend plans for both the first weekend before returning to school and the first weekend after teaching students that first week so that you can regroup.

B.  Choose one thing to continue each week that you were doing in the summer that brings you joy (making healthy lunches, workouts...)

C. Give yourself grace
You may have spent time this summer learning from incredible educators and inspired to make changes to your teaching in the classroom and have high hopes and goals for how this is going to go. Don't be discouraged if things are slower to change than expected.  It takes time to build ourselves and our classrooms and our students as we adapt to changes.  Implement new ideas one at a time and celebrate when they go well.  When they don't go well, don't give up.

I hope the start of your new school year is joyful, that you're anticipating wonderful things, and that you give yourself plenty of grace as you return back to the incredible world of music education!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S