Skip to main content

S7: E136 Soundtrap Rap Project

 Season Seven

Episode 136

Soundtrap Rap Project




Cheers to 2021!  I’m ready for a new year of new lesson ideas and thought I’d share one of the projects I’m doing with my students as we return back to school.  This project would be a really fun one to do at the beginning of the school year as well - it’d be a great way to get to know your students, what they like, and who they are.  Since I see my students in trimesters, sometimes I have to modify when I do lessons and introduce material so I decided to use this project to start off the new year with my fifth graders.


I first saw the idea for this lesson in the Soundtrap Blog.  The original idea was created by Meredith Allen and inspired by Katie Wardrobe.  I took their amazing idea and expanded upon it.  You can find the links to both the Soundtrap Blog page - click on ‘That’s a Rap’ to see the lesson plan - as well as the Google Doc with the lesson idea from Meredith.  I highly recommend Meredith’s plan for an 8-beat phrase for younger students.  It’s a great launching pad for helping students speak on the beat for a shorter period of time.


If your students need or want to expand on it, here is the extension that I created.  Students will be given access to a Google Slides Presentation.  They can make a copy of it for themselves and then share it with me.  Or sometimes I make the copies ahead of time and share it with them.  They will use the first few pages to brainstorm ideas about themselves.  Anything from their favorite things to activities they enjoy to their favorite places and the people in their family.


On Slide #6 I explain the next steps of the project - taking something about themselves to write a short phrase.  In class I’ll take time to explain that their phrases should be spoken over 4 beats.  They will then look at the last syllable or word in their first phrase and search for rhyming words.  This can help them choose a word to end the second phrase and figure out how to write the second phrase so that it rhymes with the first.


For example, if their first phrase is:  My name is Sarah and I like to run… students might think of the words: sun, fun, done.  This can help guide them towards finishing the phrase with something like:  I go real fast and it’s kind of fun.  So the first two phrases would be:


My name is Sarah and I like to run.

I go real fast and it’s kind of fun.

They will repeat this process four more times, resulting in five couplets (in other words, two successive lines that rhyme and occurring five times).  So ten lines total.


Once students have written all of their lines, they will combine them in order into slide #13.  They can print off this slide to read from as they record their rap into Soundtrap.

A few tips and tricks for making this as successful as possible:


  • Before students record their rap, have them work with a partner.  The partner maintains a steady beat by patting their lap while the other partner speaks their rap.  

  • If they are unable to work with a partner (due to being on Zoom with delays or working from home), ask students to practice with a family member at home or by themselves with the metronome on

  • Have students change the tempo before recording.  It’s automatically set to 120bpm, but I like to have students slow the tempo to 80bpm and use the metronome to help with staying on beat.

  • Speak the poem with students individually if they are struggling.  I prefer to not speak with students if possible, but sometimes they need assistance and just can’t find that steady beat.  I don’t record myself with them, but for practices I will speak it.  Or even speak it as they listen to it. 

  • Another option is to have students echo each couplet after you.  For example I would speak:


My name is Sarah and I like to run

I go real fast and it’s kind of fun.


The student would then speak the couplet immediately after I finish. This is a possibility for recording with students who may struggle to read an entire section on a steady beat for a longer period of time.  You (or the student) could then split regions in the piece to take away the parts where the teacher is speaking and then put together the sections where they speak the poem.  Or even leave instrumental parts between each couplet that they are speaking! The goal of the project is to give students an opportunity to speak over a steady beat, compose couplets that rhyme, and choose loops that create a fun instrumental background.  These can all be accomplished with modifications.  The work students create doesn’t need to be identical!  It’s okay if there are differences and adaptations to help all students be successful.


  • Once they’ve recorded their tempo, they should switch it back to 120bpm before choosing loops for their project.  They can always adjust the tempo to a slower speed once all tracks have been chosen.

  • Encourage students to record multiple attempts!  So many students think that they should get it right the first time and be done - or they just want to record it once and call it good even if they aren’t speaking on the beat.  It might be useful to have students keep track of their progress using a Google Doc and making notes about what they experienced along the way.  I’ll share the Google Doc that my students will be using as they record their recording observations.  The idea being that it is expected that they will take multiple attempts at recording and not just settle for their first attempt.

When the projects are completed, students can present their rap to the class or you could even share their raps in a Google form for everyone to hear!  To do this, download each Soundtrap file into an mp3.  Then upload the mp3 into a Google Form for students to hear.  You can even provide students with questions about what they learned about classmates and what they learned in the process of the project!

I’d love to hear how this project goes with your students.  Reach out if you use it or have questions about the process.  Or check out my Instagram page for more information and ideas: @highafternoonti. 


Resources

Soundtrap Blog

Meredith Allen's 'That's a Rap' Lesson Plan


Google Slides Presentation to use with students

Google Doc Recording Tracking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S