Skip to main content

S6: E134 Three Things 2020 Taught Me That I Didn't Want to Learn

 Season Six

Episode 134

Three Things 2020 Taught me That I Didn't Want to Learn



Welcome to the Afternoon Ti Podcast!  I’m your host Jessica Grant.  This is the second super simplified podcast episode that gets to the good stuff right away.   I’m focusing on simplifying what I can as I soak up time with family and finish out this crazy year.  Last week I talked about the importance of rest and why it’s just as important as our work.  In this episode I’m sharing what 2020 taught me that I didn’t want to learn: perseverance, waiting, and hope.  And how these three things have prepared us for what’s ahead.


I love this definition of perseverance:  It is persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.  Isn’t this what we’ve done all of 2020?  We didn’t know at times from one day to the next if we’d be teaching in-person or online.  We didn’t know how many students might be in our classrooms compared to learning virtually until we showed up to teach that day.  We didn’t know last spring if we’d be teaching online for a week or two weeks or a month.  This fall we weren’t sure if we’d be returning to teach from inside the classroom or from home.  We weren’t sure how successful we would be at pivoting from teaching as we’d always done in our classrooms to teaching through a screen using Zoom or Google Meets.  We didn’t know how we’d figure out new technology tools or if they’d work or if the internet would support the work we needed to do.  There was so much unknown.  And there’s definitely unknown in this upcoming year.  But we’ve done it.  We’ve taken it moment by moment and day by day.  It’s been hard.  Sometimes so hard that tears flow and we feel completely and utterly unsuccessful.  But no matter where you find yourself right now - you have persevered.  You have done something despite the difficulty and the delay of seeing what you hoped for come to fruition.


No matter what next year throws at us, we are stronger than we were at the start of last year.  Whether we feel like it or not.  We’ve all learned more than we ever wanted to learn or thought we’d be able to learn.  We’ve all created new ideas for teaching, new ideas for performing, new ideas for interacting and creating.  This alone will make next year easier.  We’ve already done a lot of hard things and we can face whatever comes our way next year with a little more confidence.


If 2020 has taught me anything it has been to focus on small moments of time and to not look too far ahead.  This hasn’t always been easy for me - I love to look at where I’m headed and working towards goals that matter to me.  I like to have plans that move me from day to week to month to year.  This year I couldn’t do that.  At times I couldn’t even tell you what was going to happen tomorrow which forced me to look at today and only today.  There comes an uneasiness with not knowing what is coming.  Not knowing how things will end.  It meant that I’d work on something today.  And then wait.  I’d do more work later in the day.  And then wait.  Wait to see what my next step needed to be.  Wait to see what changes were going to occur in terms of how I’d be teaching.  Readjust, do what I can for the day, and then wait.


There was a lot of waiting this past year.  We chose to move in the middle of the year - completely crazy.  And we waited and prayed and waited and prayed some more as our home sat on the market.  Six months later we’re in the final stage where we’re simply waiting for some work to be done on the home prior to our closing date in early February.  This has been a hard wait.  Hard perseverance.  And hard to keep hoping that we’d made the right decision or that it would ever sell.


There was waiting through the ups and down of emotions.  And all of us at home were feeling emotions differently.  Some days I couldn’t even tell you why it was hard - it just was.  Other days felt full of hope and possibility.  Then an hour later I’d feel discouraged or uncertain as to whether I really knew how to handle my own kids’ needs at home or how exactly to plan for the next day when I wasn’t sure what that day was going to hold.  Waiting.  J.G. Holland, an American author and poet, said, “There is no great achievement that is not the result of patient working and waiting.”  Whatever we have had to wait through this year or continue to wait for will produce great things.  Better things even if it’s just that we’re more patient or able to simply live today without worrying about tomorrow.  And while we wait, we hope.


I’m continuing to hope that one day I can sing in the classroom with my students again.  I hope that the medical field continues to advance in finding new ways to fight the virus so that lives are saved.  I hope that the closing of our home goes without much difficulty.  I hope that my girls grow in compassion and kindness during the pandemic rather than fear and sadness.  I hope that music education remains an important part of education in general.  That we can perform live and in-person.  I hope to see a Broadway show again!  I hope that education conferences happen in-person again.  I can’t wait to hug so many friends.  And to see smiles and facial expressions when we no longer need to wear masks.  There’s so much to hope for and it’s easy to get discouraged while we wait.  Because we’ve had to wait a long time - 9 months.  It’s been 9 months.  And it all happened so fast from seemingly out of the blue.


This year has taught me to persevere and keep going one day at a time.  Not looking too far ahead, but staying focused on the task in front of me.  This year has taught me that things take longer than we expect and that waiting can produce hope or discouragement.  While we wait, it’s helpful to keep our minds set on the possibilities of hope.  While we persevere.  


None of us know what is ahead in 2021, but we do know that we can persevere - we’ve done it already.  We do know that there will be things that require waiting - we’ve had to work through that and it’s just part of life.  We do know that there is hope and we just need to keep trusting that it will continue to get better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S