Skip to main content

S6: E118 No Teacher Tired Like Covid Teaching Tired

Season Six
Episode 118
No Teacher Tired Like Covid Teaching Tired

Today on Afternoon Ti I’m sharing three things that are helping me beat the fatigue of teaching this fall.  This is episode 118 - so glad you’re here!



  1. Not looking far ahead - sometimes only looking at the first 30 minutes to an hour of my day when I wake up.  What do I need to do?  

Routine:  Get a drink of water - walk the dog - his leash is in the drawer where we keep our thermometer so that triggers the reminder to take all of our temps and log into the system online to put in information each morning and get verification that we are allowed on campus that day - shower - make-up-ish - dressed - breakfast - lunch check (we prep all we can at night - 

Then when I arrive at school I prep for my first class, making sure I have everything pulled up on my laptop for where I’ll be teaching.  Then I prep for my advisory and chapel times.  For now we’re Zooming and walking through each day.  What am I helping students look at for the day?  How can I help them find what they need on our Learning Management System? 

The point is that I used to be able to look at multiple things in multiple ways because I was so familiar and comfortable with my schedule and how I taught music.  I knew my procedures inside and out.  I knew my expectations and what they looked like and sounded like.  All of that is modified.  I’m still teaching music and engaging students, but it looks and sounds very different.  I can’t predict how far students will go with the material and where the sticky points of lessons will be because I’ve never taught in this way before - with some students online and others in front of me.  With little to no instruments and no singing in the classroom.  It’s a huge learning curve.  What is working for me when I have mental fatigue over figuring out the how of teaching is to focus on bite size chunks and focusing on roughly an hour at a time.  Then focusing on the next hour.  I find myself looking at my schedule multiple times a day as I adjust to where I need to go, who is in my room with my kids, and what the flow of the day looks like.  And this is okay.  It’s going well and I feel good about that.  The overwhelm comes when I try to solve what ‘could’ happen or what needs to be taught several classes in.  I’m facing things with my concept plan chart and moving one concept at a time.  Trusting that the next thing to be taught will follow and I just have to focus on what’s in front of me.


  1. Coming home and just being

Putting on pjs

Resting in bed

Napping before dinner

Going to bed early

Eating leftovers - again

Ordering out pizza - again

Then eating the pizza for leftovers - again


  1. Finding one thing each day that went well

If you can’t find the good, be the good.  If someone stands out to you for some reason and it’s meaningful to you, tell them.  Text it.  Email it.  Say it.  Your words mean so much.  I’m going to make a blanket statement that I fully believe :  all of us are more tired at the start of this school year than we’ve been at the start of most or all of our school years.  There is no teacher tired like beginning of the year teacher tired.  Only I now think that there is no teacher tired like covid teaching tired.  So many adjustments and things we are trying and doing to help our students learn and know they are cared for and matter.  I want everything to go realy well and successfully and mostly it does.  But that voice in my head rarely stops sharing that I’m not as good as ____ fill in the blank or that I’m not being effective enough or whatever else I hear inside my thoughts.  Sometimes the one thing that makes the difference for me is to hold tight to the positive thing that has happened.  I had a few of these moments this past Friday after our first few days back with students.  Man, it felt great to be with them and see them!  A parent wrote me the most wonderful email about their student and what a great week they had.  And thanked me and our team for all we’re doing.  It was the best way to end a week where I gave absolutely everything I had and what a blessing that note was.  She may never realize how much it meant - even I told her it meant a lot - and that one email gave me confidence that this next week is going to be great.  That I can do it.  And that what I have been doing has been making a difference. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recorder: What to do with Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns... it might be the bane of your existence, a song to start with students with B-A-G on the recorders that really doesn't affect you one way or the other, or a great song to use that is simplistic and gets the job done.  No matter what your feeling on it, it's likely that you've used it because it is effective at teaching simple rhythms, B-A-G and giving students a great starting place when learning recorder.  Personally, I find it useful but I'm honestly tired of it.  I decided to do something new with it this summer and wanted to change it so that it was more musical.  For many days of my summer break I spent time in the morning playing the recorder.  I wrote down melodies I had improvised and liked, played with modes and scales, added unpitched percussion parts/piano/guitar chords and enjoyed seeing what could be done.  Not all of the pieces were very good but it was a great creative way to figure out some solutions for recorder pitch sets, rhythms an

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out this past week and needed something that a substitu

S4: E107 Active Listening Through Storytelling and Classical Music with Robert Franz

Season Four Episode 107 Active Listening with Robert Franz Robert Franz Website Stella's Magical Musical Balloon Ride Ted Talk: Active Listening and Our Perception of Time Robert Franz Bio: Acclaimed conductor, Robert Franz, recognized as "an outstanding musician with profound intelligence," has held to three principles throughout his career: a commitment to the highest artistic standards, to creating alliances and building bridges in each community he serves, and a dedication to being a strong force in music education.  As Music Director of the Windsor Symphony Orchestra and Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival Orchestra, Associate Conductor of the Houston Symphony, and newly appointed Artistic Advisor of the Boise Baroque Orchestra, he has achieved success through his focus on each of these principles. His appeal as a first-rate conductor and enthusiastic award-winning educator is acclaimed by critics, composers, and audiences of all ages.  Composer Bright S