Skip to main content

S5: E111 Have To/Get To: Thanks Andy Speer

Season Five
Episode 111
Summer Health Series
Have To/Get To: Thanks Andy Speer


Each morning this summer I wake up - put on my running clothes - stretch and head out the door.  It’s too hot in Texas to wait until later in the day so I make it a priority to move first thing in the morning before the day gets away from me.  The past three months I have used the Peloton app for workouts and I absolutely love it.  It’s truly like having a friend there and a trainer and lots of choices for what I want to do including short workouts, run/walk, bootcamp, yoga, stretching, biking, and more.  Peloton is definitely more than a bike - in fact I don’t own their bike.  I have friends who have one and love it, but you don’t have to buy one to get a great workout because there’s so much content in other areas.  I know this sounds like a Peloton ad - it is and it isn’t.  I just love the app and what it has done for me.  When you find something that works, do it.  And this is what has been working for me.  I’m getting to mindset I promise…

One of my favorite instructors is Andy Speer.  He is easy to listen to, gives great cues, and doesn’t overly talk.  In one of the workouts I’ve done several times he says something that I’ve spent time thinking about even after the workout.  It’s this idea of ‘Have to’ and ‘Get to.’  It’s not: I have to work out.   It’s: I get to walk.  I get to be outside enjoying the day.  I have the ability to do it.  Not feeling like it’s a burden to move my body or do something challenging or to have to do a certain thing, but shifting to that positive outlook that we get to do it and we’re fortunate to be able to do it.


I think this relates to so many areas in my life right now.  Perspective is a game changer.  


Have to: workout today

Get to: move my body and enjoy a beautiful day


Have to: put my kids to bed

Get to: spend time reading, talking, and snuggling


Have to: make dinner

Get to: feed myself and my family things that we enjoy


Have to: clean the house

Get to: make everything look better


What is your have to/get to?  What thing that you find yourself doing could be reframed in a positive light?  What everyday things that are mundane or boring can you find ways to look at things you ‘get to’ do? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S6: E127 Mini Soundtrap Project

 Season 6 Episode 127 Mini Soundtrap Project In the last few episodes I’ve shared some Soundtrap lesson ideas that I created and used with students.  Podcasts, Fictional Character Themes, Found Sounds, and Poem with Loops.  Check out the resources provided for each of these lessons in the show notes or on the blog. Today’s episode is about a simple Soundtrap project that could be done as a collaboration by several students or by an individual in whatever time frame you provide.  The benefit of this lesson is that it’s incredibly flexible.  It could be done in as little as 20 minutes or as much as 45 minutes or more.  The idea is to allow students to create a piece containing a specific amount of loops that includes an introduction and ending.  Like I said super simple.  This might be a great way to introduce students to loops and even form structure depending on how you set up your rubric.   This was a lesson I used while I was out th...

S1: E31 Telling Your Story with Karen Dustman

Season One:  Episode 31 Telling Your Story with Karen Dustman Karen Dustman is a California-based journalist and author.  From home improvement to history, natural health to self-help, she's written about it during her twenty-year career.  "The best part of being a writer is I get to write about whatever I'm interested in, and I'm interested practically everything!" she laughs. Early in her writing career, a pair of successful home improvement books landed Karen on some top television shows including Discovery Channel; the Weekend Edition of the Today Show; Good Day New York; Woman's Day TV; HGTV; and the Howie Mandel show.  Her freelance magazine articles have appeared in a wide range of national publications including Ladies' Home Journal , Family Circle , Natural Health , and Westways . In recent years, Karen's passion for history led her to launch Clairitage Press , a small indie press devoted to preserving California/Nevada history an...